Bike for Bibles (B4B) is an annual Canadian Bible Society event that brings cycling enthusiasts of all ages and walks of life together for a time of fellowship on the road - with one purpose in mind - to help raise funds for Bible distribution and translation projects.
B4B cyclists covered a total of 30,900 kilometres for The Good Samaritan this summer!
This summer, more than 100 cyclists covered about 30,900 kilometres and raised over $80,000 towards the Good Samaritan program. The rides, which involved cyclists from all ages, took place in 10 locations across Canada.
B4B Coordinator Holly Rail shared, “These results are testimony to the compassion and commitment of our cyclists - compassion for those living without the hope of the gospel, and commitment to bringing the life giving Word to them. Praise God for his faithful ones! Through their spokes, God speaks.”
VIEW BIKE FOR BIBLES PHOTO GALLERY
What is The Good Samaritan program?
The Good Samaritan Program is the Bible Society’s approach in addressing the HIV/AIDS pandemic in Africa where there is a great need for people to be educated about the disease. It is currently running in more than 20 African countries. The Bible Societies in these countries provide Bible-based materials for trainings and workshops. Reports have shown a significant change in the way people view the disease and those who are infected. Through the Good Samaritan program:
- People infected with HIV/AIDS learn that they have value and that there is hope in God. Those who have been through the workshops became productive members of their communities again.
- Communities became aware about HIV transmission and treatment. As a result, they no longer treat those infected with the disease as outcasts; they learned how to become Good Samaritans to those who are sick.
- The number of infection decreased. The Good Samaritan program contributes to UNAIDS' "Getting to Zero" strategy which aims to get to “zero new infections, zero discrimination, zero AIDS-related deaths by 2015.” Recently, UNAIDS has reported that among other significant gains in the fight against the disease, there has been a 35% drop in the number of newly infected children since 2009.
RELATED ARTICLE: Help Bring The Hope of God's Word To Those Suffering From HIV In Tanzania. (LINK: http://www.biblesociety.ca/goodsamaritan#.UuKR67Qo4dU)
In 2015 the Canadian Bible Society aims to raise $100,000 to help insure the continuity of the Good Samaritan program specifically in three African countries: Ethiopia, South Sudan and Tanzania.
Ways you can be involved
Not all B4B participants are cyclists! There are so many ways you can support Bike for Bibles and the Good Samaritan program.
- PARTICIPATE; BE A CYCLIST. Check out our ride locations in 2015 here. (LINK: http://bike4bibles.ca/events-2/)
- ORGANIZE A RIDE. Don't see a Bike for Bibles event in your area? How about organizing one? Contact Holly Rail at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- VOLUNTEER. Volunteers can be roadies, photographers, social media contributors, and more! Click here for details. (LINK: http://bike4bibles.ca/support-b4b/join-us/)
- DONATE by sponsoring a specific rider or make a gift directly towards the Good Samaritan program. Donate today. (LINK: http://bike4bibles.ca/support-b4b/donate/)
- SHARE about Bike for Bibles with your family and friends who might be interested.
For more information, visit the official Bike for Bibles site at bike4bibles.ca or email email@example.com.